Skip to main content

Nothing helps you more than helping others


This week I dived into the drafts folder of my blog posts. There were many interesting titles that I would want to write on, like for example one with title "The crying game". It had no content and I have no idea what I have thought of when writing that down in the year 2013. But what a great title!

But this other one that I'm now writing on had some content and is a pretty dear idea for me, so I'll now finish this post I started back year 2012. And that is, that nothing helps you more than helping others.

I have had this principle for a long time now that whenever someone asks for help, that I always do. Even if I'm swamped with work and in the middle of something and someone interrupts to ask if I could help I'll reply "of course!". Some might argue that asking to come back in an hour would be better, but the bad side on that is that potentially this other person is then stuck for an hour - and this is one hour lost. As opposed to helping them out immediately, everybody can go back and continue on full force.

So I think always helping others out is a good way for the efficiency of the team. And even for you, as if you help others then it is more likely that you will also be helped when you have a problem.

My wife was saying to me while discussing this, that sometimes some people might not want to help because they think keeping some knowledge to them self could be considered an advantage. Kind of like a superpower that other's don't have. I replied that I can maybe see someone thinking like that, but I think that not helping is still more of an disadvantage even for the person holding the information. Because good ideas can always get better and a great way to improve them is to share them and let others offer their own in return. Things I thought were pretty darn good already have gotten a lot better when I have shared them to others, by them offering their criticism and ideas in return.

So helping out improves also the ideas and knowledge you have.

And then there's the humanity factor.

I was a few years ago collecting money for Unicef with my son. Me and him (four years old back then), were standing on the center of Helsinki with a small box where we were asking people to donate some coins for the sake of poor people in Africa. I was quite sure that the box would get filled up in like minutes, the cause being so good and my son being pretty cute with an over sized Unicef vest almost touching the ground - but people were just walking on by. Hundreds of people just walking on by.

I was many times on the verge of losing my faith to the humanity, but then someone came, and dropped a few coins with a smile. And it rose us so much. It didn't even matter was it 2, 1, or .10 euros, just the fact of someone took the time to notice and give out something meant so much.

So these times when I see people collecting money for a good cause, I always give something. Like 10 cents. Because I know how much it means for the people who are giving out their own time for free, in order to help others.

So even in the context of the whole planet and human race, nothing helps us more than helping others.

I'll just close this one with a link to one of my favorite Beatles songs, you may guess what it is :)

https://youtu.be/ZNahS3OHPwA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periodical retrospectives are lame

  "You got nothing, not a single thing?! Well lets just end this here then." I remember well when I said this, being very frustrated. About ten years ago I had been working as a Scrum master for a team some months, and putting quite a lot of effort into planning our scrum teams sprint retrospectives. Lot of work also because I felt we were not getting too much out from them; not very good discussions, very few actions, and even the few actions we did come up with did not stick.  And then it happened: a retro where none of the participants came up with anything to say about the sprint. Regardless of the retro topic boxes, reading of books on retrospectives, getting inspiration from tools like retromat.org, having them in different places, using all kinds of different formats and rainbow coloured post-it notes. Not a single thing. Blank.  So then I said the words, out of frustration, mainly to myself. Why couldn't I get this thing everyone is so hyped about to work? After t

I don't report bugs

I don't report bugs . Bug is such a loaded word that people understand very differently, that instead of using it and explaining what I mean by it I rather just use other words. Like observations, thoughts, surprises, ideas, alternatives, or something similar. (And no I don't use fault, defect, or error either). Bug has also quite a negative connotation. "Reporting a bug" is kind of like telling someone that they've been served. And as we are actually giving away the gift of information, why wrap it in such a nasty package? And maybe more importantly it is very likely that whatever you might have to say is wrong. If not plain wrong, then at least incomplete. So I like to approach the kind of situations with the assumption that I am probably wrong. Cutting off anything that might sound arrogant makes stuff quite a lot easier. Especially after you realise later on that you have been wrong. I leave plenty of observations unreported . I don't want to waste

Testing drunk

(My first blog writing ever.) I've been thinking a long time that it's funny how many bugs I find by accident. Try to do something, make a mistake and boom - a bug is found.  Making the mistakes intentionally doesn't quite work - that's why they are called accidents I guess.. So I've thought of ways to make myself more prone to accidents, coming up with an apparent one; testing drunk. TUI (testing under the influence). So this I gotta try. More to come on that later.