Skip to main content

Retro for the past week



Keeping up to the deal with my colleague Mili for the total 52 posts during year 2018, this is my sixth one (Mili blogs here http://meeleetester.blogspot.fi/).  I am not really in the mood of finishing any of my draft versions and do not have solid things on my mind that I would want to write about. So I thought to do a little retro of my past week, with the classic glad - sad - mad pattern. (nice machine to help coming up with other ideas to retro's here https://plans-for-retrospectives.com/ btw).

Here goes:

**************
  • personal retro week 11
    • Sad
      • Had to spend very much time on solving issues and questions coming from support and stakeholders
      • A lot of people away from office this week
      • Meal on the lunch on new restaurant sucked
      • Few things on "my own backlog" stuck the whole week
      • Lost a query to a report I did couple of months ago
        that was asked from me again, need to redo
      • Could not do the mob programming sessions I had booked
      • Another problem with Git (root cause was that I had wrong branch as base)
    • Mad
    • Glad
      • Was able to squeeze in a few hours doing some programming on improving an existing feature
      • Tried one new restaurant for lunch
      • We were able to get quite a lot further with the goals in the workgroup I'm in
      • Was able to test and provide some feedback on some things done quite quickly after done by dev
      • Sent out a team stakeholder satisfaction survey, and got high grades on it
      • Came up with a maybe funny idea on a presentation I will give in two weeks
      • Survived one very hard meeting, and got good advice after it from my team members
      • Got help on a git issue once again
      • Tried kanbabflow as a kanbanboard for a workgroup I am in, so far like it
      • Got help from a team member to understand the reason why another one was maybe upset
      • Nice interactions with our support team
      • (https://www.mindmup.com/ copying the mind map and pasting it as text comes out as a really nice bulleted list. And also the productivity beta version works nicely

Then a few possible action items for next week:
  • Arrange a meeting for showing how I regularly work with support support (with some example case), invite the whole team (or maybe two meetings people split to two) as optional in case someone would like to help there a bit
  • Push some of the things from my "own" backlog for the team to look at
  • Book new mob sessions
  • Start saving the queries I use more often to the useful queries file I have in git 
  • Choose some implementation task for next week too
  • Book a retro for our work group til the end of next week.
****************

That was fun! And I feel a lot better from the past week, and looking forward to the new one :)

Comments

  1. Always nice to read/hear how you experience your working days/week. See that the food is central again:-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I don't report bugs

I don't report bugs . Bug is such a loaded word that people understand very differently, that instead of using it and explaining what I mean by it I rather just use other words. Like observations, thoughts, surprises, ideas, alternatives, or something similar. (And no I don't use fault, defect, or error either). Bug has also quite a negative connotation. "Reporting a bug" is kind of like telling someone that they've been served. And as we are actually giving away the gift of information, why wrap it in such a nasty package? And maybe more importantly it is very likely that whatever you might have to say is wrong. If not plain wrong, then at least incomplete. So I like to approach the kind of situations with the assumption that I am probably wrong. Cutting off anything that might sound arrogant makes stuff quite a lot easier. Especially after you realise later on that you have been wrong. I leave plenty of observations unreported . I don't want to waste

Testing drunk

(My first blog writing ever.) I've been thinking a long time that it's funny how many bugs I find by accident. Try to do something, make a mistake and boom - a bug is found.  Making the mistakes intentionally doesn't quite work - that's why they are called accidents I guess.. So I've thought of ways to make myself more prone to accidents, coming up with an apparent one; testing drunk. TUI (testing under the influence). So this I gotta try. More to come on that later.

Testers of past be the IT stars of the future?

Been noticing two a bit conflicting themes lately. 1. Testers getting (or pushed) to be more technical and write test automation code 2. Articles listing future IT core skills as widely non-technical So whereas many testers are moving to work more on test automation, the vital skills of the future may be such as: - Creativity -  Analytical (critical) thinking  -  Activ e  learning  with a growth mindset   -  Judgment and decision making -  Interpersonal communication skills - Complex Problem Solving Which sounds almost like a list of vital skills needed for an exploratory tester.  So we should perhaps remind the ones starting a testing career or moving away from it, that also these skills are something that can be quite valuable in the future as well. Maybe even the most valuable.