Skip to main content

Back on the wagon



I reread some of my old blogs and was a bit sad not to be able to read anything from the past three years. So I thought I need to force myself to start writing more again. So here goes.

Past almost three years I've been working on a really cool team, with a lot of freedom (and some responsibilities) to do a lot of different things. And quite a lot has happened in our team inside the last three years. We have moved from
  • one month sprints TO sort of a one piece flow based kanban with a weekly cadence 
  • one big team TO (semi) self-organizing work groups.
  • lot of solo work TO work in the mobbing style
  • PM led Reviews TO team led show sessions
  • unappreciated monolithic architecture TO appreciated monolith + bunch of other services architecture
  • nebula TO AWS
  • + many many more things TO other kind of things
And I'm thinking of writing on all of these a bit. But also many things have happened in me. 

First of all I have stopped clinging on the thought of hands-on (testing) work to be the only important thing for me to work on. And give in to the thought that the most important thing for me to work on should be the most important thing that needs to be done. Be it communicating, coordinating, thinking process, planning, testing, analysis, coding, teaching, documenting, making coffee, or whatever is needed. Testing is great and a great "tool", but not the solution for every problem. As is not programming either. 

Also of course my thinking of testing has changed, and changes all the time. I gave a talk year ago where I discussed these kind of shifts on my testing skill needs in past 10+ years:

Used to be important to...Has moved into...
Figure out what has been builtBuild together
Test hard thingsImprove testability
Good bug reportsGood discussions
Act like a customerTest with customers
Write test casesUse data to help you while testing
Test requirementsTest ideas
Make test plansDo continuous exploratory testing
Estimate testing effortsEnable fast feedback
Block premature releasesEnable premature releases
Manual regression testsAutomatic regression tests
Do your best in a hard work environmentDo your best to improve the work environment

So a few more things to write about there. 

Also I just gave a talk on 10 tools that I use to aid me in my line of work, that was very fast and think all of those tools should get a post of their own.

And also I wantto start writing about the small big things that happen every day, while mobbing or testing or planning or whatever. That make working as a product developer so super interesting.

But now I'll just publish this, cause otherwise I will never get into doing any of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periodical retrospectives are lame

  "You got nothing, not a single thing?! Well lets just end this here then." I remember well when I said this, being very frustrated. About ten years ago I had been working as a Scrum master for a team some months, and putting quite a lot of effort into planning our scrum teams sprint retrospectives. Lot of work also because I felt we were not getting too much out from them; not very good discussions, very few actions, and even the few actions we did come up with did not stick.  And then it happened: a retro where none of the participants came up with anything to say about the sprint. Regardless of the retro topic boxes, reading of books on retrospectives, getting inspiration from tools like retromat.org, having them in different places, using all kinds of different formats and rainbow coloured post-it notes. Not a single thing. Blank.  So then I said the words, out of frustration, mainly to myself. Why couldn't I get this thing everyone is so hyped about to work? After t

I don't report bugs

I don't report bugs . Bug is such a loaded word that people understand very differently, that instead of using it and explaining what I mean by it I rather just use other words. Like observations, thoughts, surprises, ideas, alternatives, or something similar. (And no I don't use fault, defect, or error either). Bug has also quite a negative connotation. "Reporting a bug" is kind of like telling someone that they've been served. And as we are actually giving away the gift of information, why wrap it in such a nasty package? And maybe more importantly it is very likely that whatever you might have to say is wrong. If not plain wrong, then at least incomplete. So I like to approach the kind of situations with the assumption that I am probably wrong. Cutting off anything that might sound arrogant makes stuff quite a lot easier. Especially after you realise later on that you have been wrong. I leave plenty of observations unreported . I don't want to waste

Testing drunk

(My first blog writing ever.) I've been thinking a long time that it's funny how many bugs I find by accident. Try to do something, make a mistake and boom - a bug is found.  Making the mistakes intentionally doesn't quite work - that's why they are called accidents I guess.. So I've thought of ways to make myself more prone to accidents, coming up with an apparent one; testing drunk. TUI (testing under the influence). So this I gotta try. More to come on that later.