Friday, April 5, 2013
By changing everything, will anything change?
I just resigned from my +seven (wonderful) years spell at Qentinel working as a SW testing consultant, and am now starting as a SW test engineer at Philips Medical Devices.
The biggest reason for this was that I wanted to remain working as a SW testing specialist but change everything else. Here the everything else means that I will move from:
1. Customer acceptance testing role -> Developing our own products
2. Waterfallish -> Agilish project models
3. Business oriented & simple -> Mission critical & complex domain
4. 8000km from developers -> Few meters from developers
5. Consultant -> Employee
6. Non-technical -> Technical
I am really motivated and enthusiastic about the change. And also perhaps a bit scared if nothing actually changes?
I think that the three main root-causes of most of the many problems that I have encountered in my past career have been due to:
1. lack of communication
2. lack of time
3. lack of understanding on why stuff is being done
I have high hopes that these won't be the biggest issues at Philips.
Time to find out :)