Skip to main content

Why to test?


I was yesterday keeping a talk on my company's team meeting on a topic What, Why, and How (to test) 2012. Most discussion was provoked on the Why section, where many gave their views on why do we test.

Here's some I think I remember..

- Produce and share information on the progress and quality of a system under test
- Mitigate risks related to the operational capabilities of clients IT
- Help the client to succeed
- To find important bugs
- Help client to do their business, and to be more successful with it
- Help end-users to get better products
- Client does not trust the vendor
- It is mandated by a process
- It is mandated by some authorities
- We are told to do so
- It's a job
 A good list of different and honest answers.

I just now added the following:
- Ask the questions no one else is asking
- Help other people to do better job
- Force some people to do a better job
- Build bridges of communication
- Provide a high-level view on the functionality of the system
- Provide different views on the functionality of the system
- Give a different (often critical) angle to a process/team/organization

(I'm sure that I've missed some obvious ones, but I'll this time post this before peeping to check the right answer from satisfice.com... )

But just listing and saying these things out is pretty easy. It gets harder to actually to find out what are the ones that are the important ones in the given moment. I've been talking a lot about the importance of knowing your purpose in testing situations, but am really often having a lot of trouble in finding the right one.

Just gonna keep asking those questions I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't report bugs

I don't report bugs . Bug is such a loaded word that people understand very differently, that instead of using it and explaining what I mean by it I rather just use other words. Like observations, thoughts, surprises, ideas, alternatives, or something similar. (And no I don't use fault, defect, or error either). Bug has also quite a negative connotation. "Reporting a bug" is kind of like telling someone that they've been served. And as we are actually giving away the gift of information, why wrap it in such a nasty package? And maybe more importantly it is very likely that whatever you might have to say is wrong. If not plain wrong, then at least incomplete. So I like to approach the kind of situations with the assumption that I am probably wrong. Cutting off anything that might sound arrogant makes stuff quite a lot easier. Especially after you realise later on that you have been wrong. I leave plenty of observations unreported . I don't want to waste

Testers of past be the IT stars of the future?

Been noticing two a bit conflicting themes lately. 1. Testers getting (or pushed) to be more technical and write test automation code 2. Articles listing future IT core skills as widely non-technical So whereas many testers are moving to work more on test automation, the vital skills of the future may be such as: - Creativity -  Analytical (critical) thinking  -  Activ e  learning  with a growth mindset   -  Judgment and decision making -  Interpersonal communication skills - Complex Problem Solving Which sounds almost like a list of vital skills needed for an exploratory tester.  So we should perhaps remind the ones starting a testing career or moving away from it, that also these skills are something that can be quite valuable in the future as well. Maybe even the most valuable.

Testing drunk

(My first blog writing ever.) I've been thinking a long time that it's funny how many bugs I find by accident. Try to do something, make a mistake and boom - a bug is found.  Making the mistakes intentionally doesn't quite work - that's why they are called accidents I guess.. So I've thought of ways to make myself more prone to accidents, coming up with an apparent one; testing drunk. TUI (testing under the influence). So this I gotta try. More to come on that later.