Skip to main content

Tales from the Testers' crypt

I'm going to Turku.

It's the third time inside a year I'm going there with testing in my mind. Year ago I went there to Turku ICT University to give a guest lecture on software testing, labeled My sorry life as a tester. It was remarkably fun, and so when Arttu and Aki (the guys making a huge favour to Finnish testing community by self-organizing a really awesome sounding testing course) asked me to do the same thing this year, I didn't have to think twice. 



In last year's talk I listed out things that I as a software tester had done, and thought that other testers also should at least think about. The list included a lot things that were not really hands on testing, which lately was a theme of the FIST (Finnish testing peer conference) I also was thrilled to be able to join. 
So anyway, this year I'm even more enthusiastic about the guest lecture than last time, mainly due to two things:
1. I'm gonna do it together with Pekka Marjamäki, a colleague and a friend.
2. I like the idea we have for our lecture

Skipping bullet 1, the label of our lecture is Tales from the testers' Crypt - and it consists of short experience reports both of us will give. Exp report in this context means an event that has happened to me, which taught me something I feel to be important, and which I care about. Hammer down real life experiences. We are going to send ten of these each to Arttu and Aki, who together with their course participants will vote four they like most from each, which we will then present in turns. And a Q&A will follow each exp report, (which likely will be me questioning the shit out of Peksi, and vice versa). Also we are asking them to generate one topic of their own, a joker, which they must not tell us until just before the lecture. And we will then freestyle through this one together with Peksi -> points to him on this idea I LIKE a lot.


I'm thinking this is a really challenging thing for us to do, and could be a really fun thing to listen and watch to. The name of the lecture comes of course from the horror tv-show / movie / comic book (pick one based on your age) called Tales from the Crypt. My rough set of topics I'd like to have the spectators to select from are:



  1. “Test planning - my Kipling method”
    Seen the ISO test template? This one is mine (I got it from a poem).


  1. “Test idea generation workshop”
Food, people, white-board, mind map, and TARKOTUSTESTHRKAVK


  1. “Treasure map - trying to find out what needs to be tested”
One of the most important things a tester needs to do, is to find out the what it is you are supposed to be testing. Couple of nice (perhaps even funny) examples given.


  1. “My worst testing moments”
Missing bugs is pretty horrific. Even more so when you have to read about them in the newspapers...


  1. “My best testing moments”
           What makes a tester happy! Couple of joyful moments from my career.


  1. “Reading bugs - easy way to improvement”
There’s a lot to learn on reading bug reports. Sometimes its an eye opener - story of such a situation


  1. “Test management - baby sitting and arguing”
Being a test manager is often about a lot of other things than testing. I’ll share a couple of my most interesting test manager moments.


  1. “Finding out the hidden purpose behind testing”
A testing consultant is usually expected to do some testing. The reasons behind why testing is wanted are often a lot more colorful than that.


  1. “How I failed first in scripted, then in exploratory approach to testing”
There’s a lot more to testing than testing. This story is about good testing and bad results.


  1. “Tester is a bad word (but I like it!)”
There’s a shitload of stuff you may end up doing as a “tester”. Actually testing hands-on is a harmfully small part of the task.. I’ll take a deep inhale and spill out all the stuff I’ve done as a tester during my career.

Not so horrific? Yea I know. Unfortunately for the listeners, testing is not like a horror show. At least all the time..


Comments

  1. You have stumbled and found your way to this hidden crypt. Here you will find mysterious and fascinating content to enjoy. Watch out for that thing in the dark, it may just bite! So, you are feeling brave enough to hang around for a while huh? Well then, time to check out some oddities along the way. Enjoy your stay, grab some coffee and prop up those feet, things might just get weird, after reading this stuff.
    real news stories

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Periodical retrospectives are lame

  "You got nothing, not a single thing?! Well lets just end this here then." I remember well when I said this, being very frustrated. About ten years ago I had been working as a Scrum master for a team some months, and putting quite a lot of effort into planning our scrum teams sprint retrospectives. Lot of work also because I felt we were not getting too much out from them; not very good discussions, very few actions, and even the few actions we did come up with did not stick.  And then it happened: a retro where none of the participants came up with anything to say about the sprint. Regardless of the retro topic boxes, reading of books on retrospectives, getting inspiration from tools like retromat.org, having them in different places, using all kinds of different formats and rainbow coloured post-it notes. Not a single thing. Blank.  So then I said the words, out of frustration, mainly to myself. Why couldn't I get this thing everyone is so hyped about to work? After t

I don't report bugs

I don't report bugs . Bug is such a loaded word that people understand very differently, that instead of using it and explaining what I mean by it I rather just use other words. Like observations, thoughts, surprises, ideas, alternatives, or something similar. (And no I don't use fault, defect, or error either). Bug has also quite a negative connotation. "Reporting a bug" is kind of like telling someone that they've been served. And as we are actually giving away the gift of information, why wrap it in such a nasty package? And maybe more importantly it is very likely that whatever you might have to say is wrong. If not plain wrong, then at least incomplete. So I like to approach the kind of situations with the assumption that I am probably wrong. Cutting off anything that might sound arrogant makes stuff quite a lot easier. Especially after you realise later on that you have been wrong. I leave plenty of observations unreported . I don't want to waste

Testing drunk

(My first blog writing ever.) I've been thinking a long time that it's funny how many bugs I find by accident. Try to do something, make a mistake and boom - a bug is found.  Making the mistakes intentionally doesn't quite work - that's why they are called accidents I guess.. So I've thought of ways to make myself more prone to accidents, coming up with an apparent one; testing drunk. TUI (testing under the influence). So this I gotta try. More to come on that later.